Every piece of plastic ever used since its inception is still in existence, most of it is in our landfills. Here are three reason to cut down on your plastic consumption:
- The average photo-degrading lifespan of a plastic item is 200 years. That means that your great-grandchildren’s grandchildren will be around to see the plastic WE consumed. Furthermore, these bits of plastic are easily ingested by animals, and later digested by humans. Not so comforting a thought!
- We all know that oil is being consumed en masse. Twelve million barrels of oil are being used annually to produce plastic bags, in the US alone!
- Harmful chemicals such as BPA are often found in water bottles and plastic containers that many of us send our children’s lunches in everyday. BPA is an industrial chemical which is harmful to the brain as well as to the behavior of children.
Read More: Everything is Connected
Plastic and foil food wraps have a bad rap! They can be a struggle to use, they leach into our food and they end up in the landfills. Check out this for 25 more reasons to go re-usable!
What percentage of plastic globally would you guess we recycle?
Sadly only 5%
Unlike many plastic and foil food wraps you may be tempted to stick in the microwave, silicone rubber does not react with food, liquids, and most chemicals. Why does that matter? Plastic and foil food wraps actually leach harmful chemicals such as BPA, into your food.
Norwex’s New Silicone Lids are BPA free, and will not off-gas hazardous fumes over its lifetime, or while in use. Furthermore, they are perfect for keeping hot foods hot while you wait for the kids to come home or food fresh in the fridge for a longer period of time. Not only will you be preventing more waste from ending up in our landfills (the lids can be used over and over!), but you’ll also be reducing your exposure to chemicals harmful to your body! Sounds like a win-win if you ask me!
- Keeps food fresh longer
- Helps save on environmental waste
- Won’t leach chemicals into your food
- Reusable, so they save you money
- Safe to use in refrigerators
- Safe in microwaves and ovens up to 230°C / 425° F
- Won’t hold food odours
- Dishwasher Safe
*Note: Highly acidic foods such as tomato based pastas sauce may stain the lids.
My favorite personal use for these lids is covering the pan when frying eggs. I like my girls to start the day with an egg, we fry them in a bit of coconut oil and the oil always spattered all over the stove top. These lids work AMAZING for containing the mess.
Loving the lids? Norwex is also offering terrific new packages, including a Pitch the Plastic Pack!
Delores VandenBoogaard is an Independent Norwex Sales Consultant from Edmonton, Alberta Canada with customers and consultants throughout Canada and the United States including; New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Quebec, British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Prince Edward Island, North West Territories and Ontario. She also has customers and team members in; Michigan, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Florida, Arizona, Missouri, Colorado, North Carolina, South Carolina, Idaho, Washington, New Hampshire, Iowa and Maine.