This post is about deep cleaning kitchen appliances… the ones we couldn’t live without! I would like to share how to spring clean your oven without harmful toxins or the huge amount of energy output spent to run a traditional self-clean oven cycle, plus your fridge and your dishwasher and other small appliances without chemicals.
The oven is a hard-working appliance and it shows the efforts of its labour in the grease spots, burnt on food, forgotten splatters and well, you know what I mean. The Oven & Grill Cleaner, a Spirinett, an EnviroCloth and Cleaning Paste will be all you need to spring clean your stove.
- Preheat your oven to lowest temperature – approximately 170 degrees – and leave your racks in, they need cleaning too.
- Turn off oven.
- Standing to the side of your oven, spray the Oven & Grill Cleaner all over the door, walls, racks and floor of oven. Please be careful to not spray the gasket mesh on the door. Use a Spirinett to evenly distribute the Oven & Grill Cleaner. With the door fully open, let stand for 5 minutes. The enzyme cleaner will work to dissolve any roasted chicken or lasagna that escaped its dish.
- Remove racks and place in sink. Using a Spirinett, scrub down the entire oven and then the racks.
- Wipe clean with a well-wrung EnviroCloth. Your oven will shine and you will be able to see through the window again. A four-hour toxic process just became a half hour environmentally-and-canary-friendly process! Done!
Note: As you know, this is a dirty job and may stain your EnviroCloth. Remember to rinse your EnviroCloth well.
Now for the rest of your stove:
- For the hood fan, remove your silver filter and place in the sink with hot water and a few tablespoons of Ultra Power Plus Laundry Detergent for 5 minutes. It will be shiny and look new. Use a dab of Cleaning Paste and an EnviroCloth to clean the rest of the hood. Wipe clean with a well-wrung EnviroCloth.
- Use a dab of Cleaning Paste and a SpiriSponge to scrub any stove top. It will leave it clean and shiny without a scratch. For removable elements, soak the catchers in hot water and then use a dab of Cleaning Paste and SpiriSponge to scrub clean. Wipe down stove top and knobs with a well-wrung EnviroCloth.
- Remove all your items from the bottom drawer. First vacuum up crumbs and wipe clean with a well-wrung EnviroCloth.
- Remove drawer and vacuum the debris from beneath your stove and use your Wet Mop Pad to clean the floor before replacing the drawer.
- For the sides of your stove, spray 2 squirts of water on the thick tassel side of your EnviroWand and wipe between your stove and cupboards. Done!
Note: This method can be used in your toaster oven too.
I recommend spring cleaning your fridge the day before grocery day. That way your fridge is as empty as it gets and there is less to move in and out.
- Remove items from fridge.
- Discard expired items and recycle empty containers.
- Remove drawers and wash in the sink with warm water and a squirt of Dishwashing Liquid.
- Wipe down all the shelves and walls of your fridge starting from the top to allow the crumbs to collect on the bottom. For sticky spots use a little Cleaning Paste and SpiriSponge to remove, for dirty edges and tough-to-get spots use the sharp SpiriSponge edge to loosen and for scuffs use a small square of the Micro Cleaning Hand Pad and scrub clean.
- To clean the fridge door, remove the door compartments and wash in warm water with a squirt of Dishwashing Liquid, use an EnviroCloth to wipe the entire door.
- Replace all compartments. Replace all your food.
- Repeat the process for the inside of your freezer.
- To clean the outside of your fridge, grab your Enviro Wand and give it 2 squirts of water on the thick tassel side, run the wand up the side of your fridge, over the top and back down the other side.
- To clean your water dispenser area, spray with Descaler, let sit for a few minutes, scrub with a SpiriSponge and wipe clean with an EnviroCloth.
- To clean the floor beneath your fridge, spray 2 squirts of water on the thick tassel side of the EnviroWand and slide all the dirt, debris, pencils and pieces of lego from beneath your fridge.
- Lastly, wipe down the front of your fridge with an EnviroCloth and polish with a Window Cloth. For door handle smudges (on white appliances), cut a square of the Micro Cleaning Hand Pad and give it a scrub. Done!
Another Option: You can pull your oven and fridge out from the wall. Using your well-wrung EnviroCloth you can wipe down the sides and the surrounding cupboards and walls. Vacuum vents/coils. Clean floor with the Wet Mop Pad.
Now with the two toughest appliances clean… we can move on to some easier appliances.
This well-loved, often over-stuffed appliance needs a spring clean too.
- Wipe the door edge with a well-wrung EnviroCloth to clean all the drips.
- For any hard water/calcium build up or rust, spray with Descaler and scrub with a SpiriSponge to remove.
- To maintain a shiny dishwasher, reduce the amount of detergent and keep your glasses from getting cloudy, place a Magnet Ball in the cutlery department. If you already have one, stuff a kid sock through the centre of the ball to clean. Done!
- Use a dab of Cleaning Paste and a SpiriSponge to clean your pot. Even if you thought there was no hope… the Cleaning Paste will remove all the coffee stains and make your pot shiny and look new.
- Wipe the outside of your machine with a well-wrung EnviroCloth. Done!
- Wipe down entire unit with a well-wrung EnviroCloth. Polish with Window Cloth.
- Spray two squirts of water on your Enviro Wand and remove dust from beneath your microwave. Done!
Now that you have started, look how much you have gotten done! This kitchen is such a great place and now it just got better.
Did you know that this Friday is World Environment Day? Did you know that by cleaning with Norwex you drastically reduce your environmental footprint in our world. Keep up the good work and Happy World Environment Day!
Delores VandenBoogaard is an Independent Norwex Sales Consultant from Edmonton, Alberta Canada with customers and consultants throughout Canada and the United States including; New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Quebec, British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Prince Edward Island, North West Territories and Ontario. She also has customers and team members in; Michigan, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Florida, Arizona, Missouri, Colorado, North Carolina, South Carolina, Idaho, Washington, New Hampshire, Iowa and Maine.